Colder weather means you’ll be running your furnace more often and maybe even using your fireplace for extra warmth. Fireplaces, gas furnaces, and hot water heaters all have a risk of leaking carbon monoxide due to damage, which puts you and your family in danger. Learn more about carbon monoxide safety so you can make sure everyone in your home stays safe this fall and winter.
Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have a noticeable odor or appearance, so it’s easy for this gas to leak into your home without you knowing. Unfortunately, this gas can cause serious and even deadly symptoms in a short amount of time when you breathe it in. It’s important to take steps that lower your risk of these leaks and also have a way to detect this gas if it’s in your home.
Reducing the Risk of Carbon Monoxide Leaks
Maintenance on your gas-powered heating system and hot water heater are effective ways to lower the risk of carbon monoxide leaks. Cracks in certain components can allow this gas to seep into your home. Routine HVAC maintenance involves having an HVAC technician inspect your furnace and hot water heater for signs of damage that could lead to leaks. These problems can then be repaired right away to prevent carbon monoxide from getting into your home.
Detecting Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide safety involves having detectors that can alert you and your family if this gas is in your home. If you do not have carbon monoxide detectors, you should have them installed in certain areas of your home, such as near bedrooms. These detectors will beep to let you know that carbon monoxide is present. Make sure that you check your carbon monoxide detectors to see if they are working, and change the batteries in them on a regular basis.
If you need furnace maintenance or repairs to lower the risk of a carbon monoxide leak in your Neptune home, please contact Aggressive Mechanical.