Knowing how to pick the right contractor for an HVAC installation can be a scary prospect. It’s very important to find a reputable contractor who will be able to give you the right information to ensure you have the right type, size and correct installation to get the optimum energy-saving benefits for your home.
Here are some tips on what to do and look for when selecting a new HVAC contractor:
- Always ask about licensing, insurance and any professional memberships before anything else. You want to make sure your contractor is properly licensed, insured, trained before you even think about relying on that contractor’s estimates or advice.
- Have the contractor inspect the home, the current system, and do a load report to determine the best solution for your home before they go on to explaining your options or doing any estimates.
- Ask to see annual operation and maintenance cost estimates for the HVAC system options the contractor is proposing. These estimates will help you determine what the system will cost to operate over its service lifetime.
- Does the contractor seem familiar with the type of system you want to buy? Are the technicians North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certified?
- Get at least three estimates for any work to be done from separate contractors. Make sure the estimates list what work is being done during installation, what equipment is being provided, and when installation will begin and end. Understand what is being offered or excluded in each estimate. Depending on the details of each estimate, the lowest price may not actually be your best deal for the HVAC installation.
- Double check that the contractor has enough staff to complete the installation in a timely manner and respond to service calls or technical issues.
- What type of warranty or guarantees is the contractor willing to provide on the work being done with the installation? This is separate from the manufacturer’s warranty of the equipment.
Keep these tips in mind, and you should have a good start toward finding a reputable HVAC installation contractor. If you have more questions, contact Aggressive Mechanical.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Monmouth County, New Jersey and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC installation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.