HVAC preventative maintenance will keep your air conditioner and furnace or heat pump running right, saving money both on repairs and utility bills, while extending the life of the system. But what exactly should you do as part of that maintenance, and what should you ask your HVAC technician to do? Here are a couple of lists to keep on the fridge so you’ll remember to check them off each season.
Spring DIY Maintenance
Perform these tasks every spring.
- Change the air filter. Choose a good quality pleated air filter, which will help keep the home’s air and the A/C clean.
- Clean around the outdoor condenser, removing leaves, weeds and debris.
- Cut shrubbery back at least 2 feet around the condenser for good airflow.
- Spray the condenser fins with a hose, cleaning away mud or other debris.
- If you use a whole house humidifier in the home during winter, turn it off.
HVAC Technician Maintenance
- Schedule your HVAC system checkup in spring and fall. Most technicians will include the following in their inspections:
- Check the thermostat and controls for proper operation.
- Check electrical wiring, making sure it’s not frayed, and that no wires are loose.
- Check the evaporator and condenser coils, making sure they are clean. Otherwise the A/C won’t cool properly.
- Check the condensate drain, clearing any obstructions if need be. If the condensate drain becomes plugged, flooding can occur.
- Check refrigerant levels, recharging if necessary and looking for leaks.
- Check the fan motor and the blower.
- Test the capacitor.
- Check the compressor and refrigerant tubing. Tubing that’s blocked or leaking won’t deliver enough coolant to the compressor. The compressor will then work harder, and ultimately fail.
- Have the technician check the ductwork for holes, gaps or disconnected segments. The HVAC system will have to work harder to cool or heat if the ductwork is leaking air.
- Measure indoor/outdoor temperatures and system pressures.
For more on HVAC preventative maintenance, contact Aggressive Mechanical. We serve Neptune City and the surrounding area.